14 December 2011

Joyeuses Fêtes: memories of chocolat chaud

It's a grey day out--the color of Paris at Christmas time in a way--and I am missing the streets and the City of Light when it dazzles the most. Yes, even though often grey outside in December, Paris is somehow filled with a glow always. Here's what I am missing the most today:
A visit to La Charlotte de l'isle on the Ille St. Louis--a tiny spot for late afternoon hot chocolate or tea--and a slice of lemon tart drizzled with dark chocolate. I was thinking about this after re-reading my story in AAA Home & Away magazine this month (the cover story--hurray!) A French Twist on the Holidays: Parisian Noel  If you cannot access it without a zip code, type in 55417 (:
For several years, my best friend Angie and I went to Paris in early December--it is a lovely time to visit and I am thinking it's time in 2012 to start up the tradition again.  For today, I only wish there was a place like La Charlotte de L'isle to go to in Minneapolis or St. Paul. A small shop, where everyone is crushed together--and there is even a piano squeezed in against one wall. (If you're lucky you might hear a piano recital.) The best part--the hot chocolate was served in real cups and arrived on a tray with a carafe of water because the chocolate was so sweet and heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment